Sunday, January 3, 2010

Site Overhaul?

Poor, unused nerdherdblog.com... it seems to me that the primary failing of this site is its inherent lack of purpose.   I would like to overhaul the site to be more than just a simple blog but in order to do that I think we need to decide what we really want this site to be.  Do we just want a place to share/repost content we find elsewhere?  Is it a place for us to create our own content and if so what kind - game/movie/product/dining reviews?  photo albums? personal rants?  "Jib's What Grinds My Gears"?  Do we want to have our own 'pages' for each user, like a profile (showing what content the user has added to the site along with basic user info)?  Do we need to have the ability to view & publish content from our iPhone/mobile?  It doesn't have to be just one of these things.

What do you guys want this site to be or is it just a relic of the days before Facebook and we should just let the domain registration lapse someday and forget our little site?  If we can come up with a vision for what nerdherdblog should be I'd like to set up http://beta.nerdherdblog.com and begin development on a more customized site for us instead of the pre-canned blogger site we're on right now.  Anyone who has any web development experience or aspirations would be more than welcome to help out since I don't have much experience in that field myself but I'll to give it a shot.

If there are any sites from around the internets that exemplify a feature you'd like to see please include a link so we can see (like a great photo album site).

1 comment:

John O John said...

You know what really grinds my gears? Wasted bytes.

I have two other blogs that are basically dying as well; one for just personal pics and mini rants, and one intending to have some meaningful thought-provoking threads. Facebook is killing them mostly, since it's easy to post from the phone and I feel like I only have time for short, inane, banal posts these days. I also have a website with nothing going on: Dittoson.com

I would like to get some purpose here. Any chance we could use it as an event calendar for upcomings? I know Coachella is in the works, perhaps SXSW, and there's always the Nerdbowl draft in the fall. It'd be good to have an idea of what we are all planning on doing, rather than just seeing what we did. Might make it easier to coordinate as well, rather than multiple copies of google docs floating around.